People Director (Generalist)
People & HR
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2023
Hello there. We’re Zopa.
We started our journey back in 2005, building the first ever peer-to-peer lending company. Fast forward to 2020 and we launched Zopa Bank. A bank that listens to what our customers don’t like about finance and does the opposite. We’re redefining what it feels like to work in finance. Our vision for a new era of banking puts people front and centre — we’ve built a business that empowers everyone to aim high, every day, to move finance forward. Find out more about our fantastic offerings at Zopa.com!
We’re incredibly proud of our achievements and none of it would be possible without the amazing team here. It’s not just industry awards we’re winning, we’ve also been named in the top three UK’s Most Loved Workplaces.
If you embrace unconventional challenges, are unafraid to think differently and are driven to make an outsized impact, you’ll thrive here at Zopa, so join us, and make it count. Want to see us in action? Follow us on Instagram @zopalife
We are looking for an exceptional People Director to lead and manage our equally exceptional team of People Partners. Reporting directly into our VP People, the People Director (Generalist) will ensure that we have the right people strategy to accelerate our capacity and capability in line with our ambitious growth plans, creating exceptional career memories for our people. More broadly the role will be expected to engage, influence and challenge senior stakeholders across the organisation in service of our people goals.
This role requires exceptional leadership, focus and commitment as well as proven executional drive. We’re looking for someone who will thrive with a high level of autonomy and accountability, is commercially minded and able to demonstrate exceptional judgement and integrity.
The People Director will be a key partner to the VP People in assuring Zopa’s ability to scale and will play a broader role in shaping the People Strategy and EVP that will support Zopa’s ongoing growth story, including readiness for IPO.
We’re incredibly proud of the culture we have been able to cultivate and nurture within Zopa, which is also recognised externally:
In 2023, we were rated as the second most loved UK company by Newsweek
We currently have a Glassdoor rating of 4.6 out of 5 and our CEO currently has a 99% approval rating.
We’ve been shortlisted for every employee-facing award we’ve applied for in 2023 and hope to be able to share more positive news in the coming weeks.
A day in the life:
- Partner with the VP People in the broader development of Zopa People Strategy, regularly engaging with senior stakeholders at ExCo level and our Remuneration Committee.
- Establish trusted partnerships with senior leaders across Zopa and unafraid to influence when needed in order to improve/enhance their leadership effectiveness.
- Provide outstanding guidance for your team of five People Partners as well as providing career development opportunities for the wider People Team.
- Mastery in the use of data and MI to help improve organisational health and make smart, informed decisions.
- Play a pivotal role as one of the People champions for teams across the business. We’re passionate about diversity, equity & inclusion and we want to hire someone that shares our passion.
- Develop people strategies and design approaches for diagnosing and enhancing organisational effectiveness and employee satisfaction.
- Design teams effectively based on the skills and capabilities we need to win.
- Partner with Talent Acquisition to ensure mutual understanding of organisation design, hiring plans and required velocity to meet the resourcing needs of our growing business.
- Work with the wider People team on developing new initiatives that promote our values and help to retain and engage our teams.
- Identify and actively manage our talent ensuring we retain and develop our best people, driving effective talent pipeline and succession planning.
- Inform and influence reward strategies in partnership with our Reward COE, demonstrating creative thinking in seeking solutions.
- Invest in personal network and brings external insight and industry best practice into the team.
- Demonstrable People Partnering experience in a scaling Technology or FS led business, having previously worked with senior level stakeholders.
- Experience of engaging and influencing senior Stakeholders at ExCo and Board level.
- Obvious understanding of the people levers driving commercial growth.
- Analytical mindset with proven experience using data insights to aid decisions.
- Strong program and project direction and delivery expertise, overseeing scale change initiatives.
- Experience in supporting the integration of companies via M&A is desirable.
- Excellent understanding of UK employment law
- A reputation of unquestionable integrity, high EQ and an inclusive mind-set
- An optimistic, direct and innovative nature. You’re comfortable with ambiguity and being part of deeply complex strategy discussions.
- Previous experience of implementing new HR operating models, systems and processes for growth.
- Experience of coaching teams to higher performance, in a growth context.
- Ability to generate effective and pragmatic solutions to new situations and problems as they are presented.
- Evidence of good judgement in difficult and deadline driven situations.
- Ability to build trust and confidence across Zopa.
On a personal level, these are the qualities we'd like to see:
- Agility, adaptability, pragmatism
- Gravitas and credibility
- Data oriented and results driven with excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Owned projects and initiatives using Agile and/or other project management principles
- Ability to communicate, challenge and influence a range of stakeholders, equally comfortable working with senior managers and staff at all levels
- Able to distil complex issues into component parts, identify causal links and think through alternative courses of action
- Both initiate and translate ideas into tangible output to create value for Zopians
- Keep Diversity Equity and Inclusion at the heart of everything you do
The ideal candidate will be thoughtful, collaborative, able to inspire others and to think creatively about solutions. To be successful you will be comfortable with ambiguity, ownership, and teamwork.
Flexible working? Yes please!
At Zopa we value flexible ways of working. We understand the benefits of face-to-face collaboration and the importance of a good work life balance. Our teams work in a hybrid manner from our open-plan, riverside London Bridge office and the comfort of their own homes at a frequency that suits the team and the work they do.
Not only that – you'll also have the option of working from abroad for up to 120 days a year!* But no matter where you are, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to thrive, both in your work and home life, from day one.
*Subject to having the right to work in the country of choice
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to better products for our customers and a unique company culture for our people. We are made up of nearly 50 nationalities, have a DE&I forum made up of Zopians wanting to make a difference and we are proud of our culture where everyone can bring their full self to work. Our approach to DE&I is reflected in our hiring process so please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments.