Operational Risk Manager
Posted on Tuesday, September 5, 2023
Hello there. We’re Zopa.
We started our journey back in 2005, building the first ever peer-to-peer lending company. Fast forward to 2020 and we launched Zopa Bank. A bank that listens to what our customers don’t like about finance and does the opposite. We’re redefining what it feels like to work in finance. Our vision for a new era of banking puts people front and centre — we’ve built a business that empowers everyone to aim high, every day, to move finance forward. Find out more about our fantastic offerings at Zopa.com!
We’re incredibly proud of our achievements and none of it would be possible without the amazing team here. It’s not just industry awards we’re winning, we’ve also been named in the top three UK’s Most Loved Workplaces.
If you embrace unconventional challenges, are unafraid to think differently and are driven to make an outsized impact, you’ll thrive here at Zopa, so join us, and make it count. Want to see us in action? Follow us on Instagram @zopalife
The 1st Line of Defence (1LOD) Risk Function are responsible for managing risks across the organisation, working closely with cross-business stakeholders and adopting the bank’s risk framework to embed effective and efficient risk management into everything we do.
We are looking for a Risk Manager to partner with our Payments team and Current Account Programme team to identify, assess and manage operational risks. The role is an exciting opportunity for a risk professional motivated by driving change and contributing to delivering responsible growth and a truly customer centric experience.
A day in the life:
- You'll report into the Head of 1LOD Deposits and work closely with stakeholders across the three lines of defence to ensure Zopa operates within risk appetite, through the application of commensurate mitigating controls.
- Be able to identify areas of risk and have a strong knowledge of operational risks and controls.
- Lead in defining solutions in response to risks which are i) smart and proportionate, iii) sustainable (e.g. Automated controls over manual interventions) and iv) considered (i.e. not just plugging the gap but thinking more holistically about the issue and what we need, to improve the risk environment)
- Be able to manage interdependencies in order to support in the delivery of agreed solutions, change initiatives in a timely and high-quality way.
- Ensure that MI and reporting is delivered in a timely manner, enabling accountable individuals to make informed, risk-based decisions.
- You'll be an experienced risk professional with a strong understanding of current accounts in a retail banking environment and a passion for supporting teams to deliver better customer outcomes.
- Proven track record of experience of managing operational risk (ideally in the first line) in a consultancy, fintech or specifically within the financial services sector
- Good awareness of the regulatory framework in which Zopa operates and driven to self-educate and learn about the evolving open banking regulatory landscape.
- You'll be able to lead stakeholders to identify areas of risk, support in the delivery of change across the business and look for ways to improve our existing risk-based practices.
- You should be technical, outcome orientated, and be able to apply the risk framework to propose optimal outcomes for customers and the bank.
- A strong communicator who can articulate issues clearly, flagging trade-offs and solutions in order to gain buy in to your proposals.
- Passionate about improving the risk environment and general ways of working across the teams you support.
- Act as a source of knowledge and point of contact for business colleagues in your area such as second line risk and first line counterparts.
- Guide first line teams in completing comprehensive risk assessments and promoting a risk-aware culture across the business.
Bonus points for:
- Practical working knowledge of payments, fraud and financial crime risk
- Experience of change projects involving automated and tech solutions.
Flexible working? Yes please!
At Zopa we value flexible ways of working. We understand the benefits of face-to-face collaboration and the importance of a good work life balance. Our teams work in a hybrid manner from our open-plan, riverside London Bridge office and the comfort of their own homes at a frequency that suits the team and the work they do.
Not only that – you'll also have the option of working from abroad for up to 120 days a year!* But no matter where you are, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to thrive, both in your work and home life, from day one.
*Subject to having the right to work in the country of choice
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to better products for our customers and a unique company culture for our people. We are made up of nearly 50 nationalities, have a DE&I forum made up of Zopians wanting to make a difference and we are proud of our culture where everyone can bring their full self to work. Our approach to DE&I is reflected in our hiring process so please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments.