Financial Crime Risk Manager (2nd Line of Defence)
Accounting & Finance
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2023
Hello there. We’re Zopa.
We started our journey back in 2005, building the first ever peer-to-peer lending company. Fast forward to 2020 and we launched Zopa Bank. A bank that listens to what our customers don’t like about finance and does the opposite. We’re redefining what it feels like to work in finance. Our vision for a new era of banking puts people front and centre — we’ve built a business that empowers everyone to aim high, every day, to move finance forward. Find out more about our fantastic offerings at Zopa.com!
We’re incredibly proud of our achievements and none of it would be possible without the amazing team here. It’s not just industry awards we’re winning, we’ve also been named in the top three UK’s Most Loved Workplaces.
If you embrace unconventional challenges, are unafraid to think differently and are driven to make an outsized impact, you’ll thrive here at Zopa, so join us, and make it count. Want to see us in action? Follow us on Instagram @zopalife
As a Second line of defence Financial Crime Risk Manager, you will be responsible for supporting the Deputy MLRO regarding financial crime policy, advisory and oversight activities. This will include supporting the overarching assessment and reporting on the effective management of financial crime risks across Zopa.
You will provide financial crime advice and guidance to the business, conduct oversight over the business and assist the Deputy MLRO & MLRO in ensuring that Zopa, its staff and key stake holders conduct their activities in accordance with all relevant financial crime legislation, regulation, and industry standards. We have a friendly, fun, and ambitious culture where everyone contributes pro-actively towards the growth of the business, so a parallel mind-set is what we are looking for.
Reporting into the Deputy MLRO, this role will support the overall setting and embedding of the financial crime risk framework for Zopa. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a growing financial crime function, to support the Deputy MLRO and deputise where necessary. We are open to either London or remote based working.
A day in the life:
- Ensure that the financial crime risk (FCR) Policies and Standards are managed, maintained, and updated as necessary in line with legal and regulatory obligations.
- Respond to, and escalate as necessary, Policy breaches, exemptions, and risk events.
- Support delivery of the business wide risk assessment, co-ordinate and manage responses from the business and progress actions to strengthen the control framework.
- Act in an FCR advisory capacity for the business, ongoing projects and particularly Financial Crime Operations, within the first line of defence, who you will work closely with.
- Support the Nominated Officer in delivery of their responsibilities and accountabilities including SAR investigation, transaction monitoring alerts, rule management and reporting.
- Plan and support the delivery of FCR assurance and oversight activity including reports and recommendations to the business on the findings.
- Support the evolution of the Bank’s FC Operations providing advice, guidance, and support in managing Zopa’s high risk customer and PEP population.
- Develop and deliver FCR related training and awareness across AML, ABC and Sanctions.
- Assist in the drafting of internal Financial Crime reporting, including reports to the Risk Management Committee, ExCo and Board as required
- You understand the risks associated with your job and what that means for you, Zopa and all our stakeholders
- Experience of working within Financial Crime advisory teams across the second line of defence in a retail banking environment and providing risk-based advice and guidance to first line risk teams and business areas on complex and high-risk customers
- You will have strong Financial Crime subject matter expertise across AML, CTF, sanctions, anti-bribery & corruption.
- ICA / industry qualifications helpful but not essential
- Relevant second line assurance or third line audit experience would be useful but not essential
- You have strong written skills, good interpersonal skills, and an ability to communicate and challenge stakeholders at all levels
- An understanding of financial crime systems and the increasing need to automate and manage AML controls within a growing business.
Flexible working? Yes please!
At Zopa we value flexible ways of working. We understand the benefits of face-to-face collaboration and the importance of a good work life balance. Our teams work in a hybrid manner from our open-plan, riverside London Bridge office and the comfort of their own homes at a frequency that suits the team and the work they do.
Not only that – you'll also have the option of working from abroad for up to 120 days a year!* But no matter where you are, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to thrive, both in your work and home life, from day one.
*Subject to having the right to work in the country of choice
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to better products for our customers and a unique company culture for our people. We are made up of nearly 50 nationalities, have a DE&I forum made up of Zopians wanting to make a difference and we are proud of our culture where everyone can bring their full self to work. Our approach to DE&I is reflected in our hiring process so please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments.