Senior Financial Accountant
Accounting & Finance, Sales & Business Development
Posted on Tuesday, July 4, 2023
Hello there. We’re Zopa.
We started our journey back in 2005, building the first ever peer-to-peer lending company. Fast forward to 2020 and we launched Zopa Bank. A bank that listens to what our customers don’t like about finance and does the opposite. We’re redefining what it feels like to work in finance. Our vision for a new era of banking puts people front and centre — we’ve built a business that empowers everyone to aim high, every day, to move finance forward. Find out more about our fantastic offerings at Zopa.com!
We’re incredibly proud of our achievements and none of it would be possible without the amazing team here. It’s not just industry awards we’re winning, we’ve also been named in the top three UK’s Most Loved Workplaces.
If you embrace unconventional challenges, are unafraid to think differently and are driven to make an outsized impact, you’ll thrive here at Zopa, so join us, and make it count. Want to see us in action? Follow us on Instagram @zopalife
In response to business growth, we are looking for a Senior Financial Accountant to join our Finance team.
To be successful in this role you’ll have a strong technical accounting background and ability to manage projects. The role will primarily provide technical accounting support for new products and other initiatives. Strong stakeholder management and relationship building are required for this role.
Our Finance team is growing at pace, so you’ll have a clear ability to build effective and influential relationships within Finance and other Zopa teams. Our team are self-starting problem solvers, agile and thrive on bringing past experiences to a diverse range of challenges. You'll be part of an impressive Zopa team, who are super collaborative and happy to roll their sleeves up and get involved in whatever needs doing to achieve their goals!
A day in the life:
- Performing technical accounting assessments for new transactions, products, significant contracts, and other business initiatives under the direction and supervision of a senior manager
- Gathering data and information from legal agreements, authoritative guidance, and interviews with key stakeholders to aid technical accounting assessments
- Managing the day-to-day projects by coordinating with key stakeholders
- Operationalising and implementing technical accounting matters into business-as-usual (BAU) processes and handing them over to the BAU teams
- Aiding with accounting policy development and implementation
- Drafting guidance and advice on the application of accounting policies
- Performing horizon scanning of new and proposed legislations, regulations and standards with financial and corporate reporting impact, and preparing corresponding impact assessments
- Active engagement with external auditors on all accounting policy matters
- Carrying out admin activities in collating data for external advisors and loading it onto their portals
- Supporting initiatives aimed at enhancing the internal control environment
- Assisting with the preparation of the annual report and accounts
- Aiding with the accurate and timely delivery of month-end reporting as required
- Providing training and creating business application guidance
- Coaching and mentoring junior members of the finance team
- Being actively involved in Finance related strategic initiatives as we scale up for the IPO
- You'll be a qualified accountant or have demonstrable experience in this field
- Experience of working in the Financial Services sector (preferably banking or consumer finance), or have trained within a technical accounting role
- Have a questioning mindset and be able to drive change to systems and processes to increase efficiency
- You’ll be a team player and problem solver, who can listen, analyse, research, investigate and provide solutions to problems relating to financial accounting and reporting.
- Finally, you’ll be energetic, motivated, and have a passion for excellence and innovation in pursuit of success!
Bonus points for:
- Technical knowledge of IFRS 9 (expected credit losses, EIR, hedge accounting), IFRS 2 (share based payments), IFRS 16 (Leases)
- Knowledge or experience of operational accounting and regulatory reporting for banks and ideally of UK taxes
Flexible working? Yes please!
At Zopa we value flexible ways of working. We understand the benefits of face-to-face collaboration and the importance of a good work life balance. Our teams work in a hybrid manner from our open-plan, riverside London Bridge office and the comfort of their own homes at a frequency that suits the team and the work they do.
Not only that – you'll also have the option of working from abroad for up to 120 days a year!* But no matter where you are, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to thrive, both in your work and home life, from day one.
*Subject to having the right to work in the country of choice
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to better products for our customers and a unique company culture for our people. We are made up of nearly 50 nationalities, have a DE&I forum made up of Zopians wanting to make a difference and we are proud of our culture where everyone can bring their full self to work. Our approach to DE&I is reflected in our hiring process so please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments.