Senior Finance Risk & Controls Manager
Accounting & Finance
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2023
Hello there. We’re Zopa.
We began our journey in 2005 with the drive to deliver customer-first financial products. Fast forward to 2020, we shifted gears and became a digital bank, leveraging our customer knowledge, money expertise and technical agility to forge ahead. Our diverse team is united by a mission to create simple, fair and honest financial products that have the customers’ needs at their heart.
We’re regularly recognised at industry awards for our game-changing products and are proud to be one of the market leaders in consumer lending in the UK. But our work doesn’t stop there.
After securing £220 million in our 2021 funding round led by SoftBank, we’ve entered the next stage in our journey. So far, we’ve lent out over £8 billion and made money work better for over half a million people across the UK who were looking to borrow or save with us. In less than 2 years after becoming a bank, we hit £2 billion in customer deposits and we’re also a top 5 credit card issuer in the UK. And this is just the beginning.
We’re set on achieving big things with ambitious growth targets to match. This means there's a range of opportunities for you to excel and develop through a career at Zopa, while building better banking products that truly matter to our customers.
If you embrace unconventional challenges, are unafraid to think differently and are driven to make an outsized impact, you’ll thrive here at Zopa. For a closer look at our culture, check out our latest video here. And if you want to join us, have a look at our current open roles!
Working with the Finance Director and Heads of each Finance function, we're looking for a Senior Risk and Controls Manager to design and implement robust control frameworks over all aspects of internal and external reporting. The role will cover the whole of Finance (Financial Control, Management Reporting, Financial Reporting, Regulatory Reporting, Financial Planning and Budgeting, Tax Reporting, Treasury and Legal).
A day in the life:
- Scope and assess the current state of internal control frameworks as well as the design, implementation, and operating effectiveness of key controls across Finance & Legal (Financial Control, Management Reporting, Financial Reporting, Regulatory Reporting, Financial Planning and Budgeting, Tax Reporting, Treasury and Legal).
- Continuous monitoring of the key Finance & Legal processes, delivering efficiencies and control automations where possible.
- Ensure Finance functions comply with Zopa Operational Risk Policy and Model Risk Policy.
- Periodic review and testing of Finance End User Computing (EUCs).
- Lead the design, documentation, and implementation of scalable first line internal control frameworks by working with business area owners and ensuring that these are subject to appropriate levels of governance.
- Educate and support teams in appropriate execution of internal controls and ensuring that controls and actions are appropriately evidenced and reviewed.
- Work closely with the second line of defence and internal/external auditors as part of periodic reviews and audits.
- Prepare and present reports to senior management and Board committees.
- Build and develop the first line Risk & Controls function to develop it into a standalone function as the Bank becomes listed.
- You're a qualified accountant (either by exam or experience) and have worked in Financial Services so understand the PRA/FCA regulations.
- You have a proven track record in assessing the design, implementation, and operating effectiveness of internal controls.
- Are highly organised, effective at project management and can manage conflicting priorities.
- Resilient under pressure, embrace change and can operate in a fast-paced environment.
- You're energetic, motivated, and have a passion for excellence and innovation in pursuit of success.
- Ideally, you'll have experience of working within the US SOX control environment.
Flexible working? Yes please!
Whether you want to come into our open-plan, riverside London Bridge office or work from the comfort of your own home (or both!), you’ll be able to decide on an approach with your manager, looking at what works best for you, your role and your team.
Not only that – you'll also have the option of working from abroad for up to 120 days a year!* But no matter where you are, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to thrive, both in your work and home life, from day one.
*Subject to having the right to work in the country of choice
To thrive here, you’ll need to:
Champion our customers. Whatever your role, you’ll be close to our customers. We care passionately about doing the best for them.
Help us make fearless choices. Our environment is fast-paced, agile and open. You’ll solve interesting and challenging problems, and be trusted and empowered to bring your ideas to life.
Walk the talk. Like us, you’ll be honest, stick to your promises and face the tough moments head-on.
Win smarter. You’ll be always on the lookout for a better way of doing things, going beyond ‘good enough’ and welcoming different points of view.
Be in it together. You’ll join an ambitious, diverse and all-round approachable team with a mix of ideas and talents who inspire each other to be better every day.
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to great products and unique company culture. We simply can’t expect to empower our customers to better manage their money without challenging the current status quo. Creating the best place for money is no easy task, which is why we need talent from all walks of life.
See more open positions at Zopa
Something looks off?