Senior Fraud Strategy Manager
Accounting & Finance, Operations
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2023
Hello there. We’re Zopa.
We began our journey in 2005 with the drive to deliver customer-first financial products. Fast forward to 2020, we shifted gears and became a digital bank, leveraging our customer knowledge, money expertise and technical agility to forge ahead. Our diverse team is united by a mission to create simple, fair and honest financial products that have the customers’ needs at their heart.
We’re regularly recognised at industry awards for our game-changing products and are proud to be one of the market leaders in consumer lending in the UK. But our work doesn’t stop there.
After securing £220 million in our 2021 funding round led by SoftBank, we’ve entered the next stage in our journey. So far, we’ve lent out over £8 billion and made money work better for over half a million people across the UK who were looking to borrow or save with us. In less than 2 years after becoming a bank, we hit £2 billion in customer deposits and we’re also a top 5 credit card issuer in the UK. And this is just the beginning.
We’re set on achieving big things with ambitious growth targets to match. This means there's a range of opportunities for you to excel and develop through a career at Zopa, while building better banking products that truly matter to our customers.
If you embrace unconventional challenges, are unafraid to think differently and are driven to make an outsized impact, you’ll thrive here at Zopa. For a closer look at our culture, check out our latest video here. And if you want to join us, have a look at our current open roles!
We are at the inception of our move into Current Accounts and are looking for someone to take the lead in ensuring our product is resilient to a broad range of current and emerging fraud risks. You will be responsible for developing the fraud risk management strategy for this product, including developing the policies and procedures for how Zopa evaluates and mitigates fraud risk. You will be responsible for ensuring we have the right tools in place and you will be working alongside the Operations team to implement the policies.
We need your help to make sure our current accounts product can scale to millions of customers and millions of transactions while managing our fraud risk. We are looking for an experienced Fraud Strategy Manager, who is ready for this challenge.
This is a highly autonomous and high ownership role, as you and the team will need to not just solve problems but help work out what the problems are that we must solve when it comes to fraud to enable a Current Account launch.
There’s no room for ivory tower thinking and dishing out requirements - you’ll need to think things through from what we should do, to engaging stakeholders and getting their buy-in, to collaborating cross-functionally on what’s developed, and most importantly making sure you’re building the right things.
This is an opportunity that can give scope to supercharge your career and rapidly grow your role within a fast-scaling FinTech that is looking to IPO next year.
A day in the life:
- Drive the end-to-end fraud programme, from strategy through to implementation. We will want to deliver a best-in-class framework to prevent and detect fraud in line with Zopa’s risk appetite while driving a good customer experience
- Horizon scanning to identify potential and emerging fraud risks
- Create policies and procedures for how we analyse, investigate, detect, and handle suspected fraud cases
- Use a data-led approach to fraud management and investigations
- Dive into our existing fraud practices to determine how they should apply to the current account product – what to keep, what to fix, what to build, what we can procure
- Prioritise the fraud business requirements and drive the delivery of technical solutions. Collaborating with the engineers to work out how to build, and help make trade-offs to solve the key problems while retaining velocity
- Develop robust testing processes to assess the effectiveness of our fraud risk controls
- Define and provideaccurate and informative fraud risk reporting to senior stakeholders
- Help to make key commercial decisions when it comes to fraud, and lend your commercial and technical acumen to making those calls
- You have fraud risk experience in a UK retail bank, ideally in current accounts
- Are analytical, detailed orientated and comfortable with data
- You can work with large ambiguous problems, breaking them down into smaller manageable pieces, and can reach out to relevant stakeholders to help you solve the issues.
- The ability to translate and prioritise complex fraud trends and develop robust risk mitigation strategies
- You can point to solutions you’ve built and the success that they’ve had
- Outcomes focused – you have a bias for action to ensure we test and learn as we go, as well as make progress toward the big goals
- You have great interpersonal skills and experience working in a cross-functional team, including engineers and designers.
Please note: No candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!
Flexible working? Yes please!
Whether you want to come into our open-plan, riverside London Bridge office or work from the comfort of your own home (or both!), you’ll be able to decide on an approach with your manager, looking at what works best for you, your role and your team.
Not only that – you'll also have the option of working from abroad for up to 120 days a year!* But no matter where you are, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to thrive, both in your work and home life, from day one.
*Subject to having the right to work in the country of choice
To thrive here, you’ll need to:
Champion our customers. Whatever your role, you’ll be close to our customers. We care passionately about doing the best for them.
Help us make fearless choices. Our environment is fast-paced, agile and open. You’ll solve interesting and challenging problems, and be trusted and empowered to bring your ideas to life.
Walk the talk. Like us, you’ll be honest, stick to your promises and face the tough moments head-on.
Win smarter. You’ll be always on the lookout for a better way of doing things, going beyond ‘good enough’ and welcoming different points of view.
Be in it together. You’ll join an ambitious, diverse and all-round approachable team with a mix of ideas and talents who inspire each other to be better every day.
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to great products and unique company culture. We simply can’t expect to empower our customers to better manage their money without challenging the current status quo. Creating the best place for money is no easy task, which is why we need talent from all walks of life.
See more open positions at Zopa
Something looks off?