Director of 2LOD Credit & Financial Risk
Accounting & Finance
Posted on Friday, May 5, 2023
Hello there. We’re Zopa.
We began our journey in 2005 with the drive to deliver customer-first financial products. Fast forward to 2020, we shifted gears and became a digital bank, leveraging our customer knowledge, money expertise and technical agility to forge ahead. Our diverse team is united by a mission to create simple, fair and honest financial products that have the customers’ needs at their heart.
We’re regularly recognised at industry awards for our game-changing products and are proud to be one of the market leaders in consumer lending in the UK. But our work doesn’t stop there.
After securing £220 million in our 2021 funding round led by SoftBank, we’ve entered the next stage in our journey. So far, we’ve lent out over £8 billion and made money work better for over half a million people across the UK who were looking to borrow or save with us. In less than 2 years after becoming a bank, we hit £2 billion in customer deposits and we’re also a top 5 credit card issuer in the UK. And this is just the beginning.
We’re set on achieving big things with ambitious growth targets to match. This means there's a range of opportunities for you to excel and develop through a career at Zopa, while building better banking products that truly matter to our customers.
If you embrace unconventional challenges, are unafraid to think differently and are driven to make an outsized impact, you’ll thrive here at Zopa. For a closer look at our culture, check out our latest video here. And if you want to join us, have a look at our current open roles!
Effective and efficient risk management is a core capability of any scaling bank and at Zopa we see this as a crucial competitive advantage. A strong second line function sets the tone and helps build the systems and frameworks that allows Zopa to scale with confidence.
Reporting to the CRO we’re lookingfor an experienced Senior Risk Leader to join us as Director of Second Line Credit and Financial Risk. This is an integral role at Zopa,providing a strong and independent second line of defence across credit, model, capital,interest rate and liquidity risk.
Using sound judgement, you will design and manage the frameworks needed to mitigate financial risks (policies, procedures, systems, and controls) and role model the risk based culture needed to support Zopa’s resilient growth.
This role will form part of the SMCR regime at Zopa.
- Thought leadership on the management of financial risks across the Bank, working with the Board, Executive team and First Line Product, Finance and Operations Directors
- Developing and maturing frameworks, analytics, policies, procedures, systems and controls that give Zopa confidence in managing financial risks
- Provide 2nd Line oversight to complex areas of financial risk. Assessing strategic problems and opportunities, and defining appropriate solutions
- Lead contributor to regulatory documents (e.g. ICAAP, ILAAP and Recovery Plan) and regulator interactions
- Horizon scanning of industry requirements and regulatory changes in relation to responsible lending, models, capital and liquidity risk
- An SME for the board providing guidance, support and data driven challenge
- You’re an experienced Senior risk leader who understands a retail banking business model with a broad awareness of consumer finance, payments and capital and liquidity risk
- A proven track record of creating and developing risk-based practices & models to provide smart, sustainable solutions
- A resourceful leader who can drive data and analytical insight, communicating complex matters to a variety of stakeholders, including the Board, regulators, 1st line and 2nd line leaders, to ensure a coherent approach to Zopa risk appetite and an efficient sharing of best practice
- You’ll possess strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills, including the ability to synthesise a large volume of information and come to an overall view of the implications for Zopa’s risk profile.
Flexible working? Yes please!
Whether you want to come into our open-plan, riverside London Bridge office or work from the comfort of your own home (or both!), you’ll be able to decide on an approach with your manager, looking at what works best for you, your role and your team.
Not only that – you'll also have the option of working from abroad for up to 120 days a year!* But no matter where you are, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to thrive, both in your work and home life, from day one.
*Subject to having the right to work in the country of choice
To thrive here, you’ll need to:
Champion our customers. Whatever your role, you’ll be close to our customers. We care passionately about doing the best for them.
Help us make fearless choices. Our environment is fast-paced, agile and open. You’ll solve interesting and challenging problems, and be trusted and empowered to bring your ideas to life.
Walk the talk. Like us, you’ll be honest, stick to your promises and face the tough moments head-on.
Win smarter. You’ll be always on the lookout for a better way of doing things, going beyond ‘good enough’ and welcoming different points of view.
Be in it together. You’ll join an ambitious, diverse and all-round approachable team with a mix of ideas and talents who inspire each other to be better every day.
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to great products and unique company culture. We simply can’t expect to empower our customers to better manage their money without challenging the current status quo. Creating the best place for money is no easy task, which is why we need talent from all walks of life.
See more open positions at Zopa
Something looks off?