Senior Platform Engineer
Posted on Thursday, May 4, 2023
Hello there. We’re Zopa.
We started our journey back in 2005, building the first ever peer-to-peer lending company. Fast forward to 2020 and we launched Zopa Bank. A bank that listens to what our customers don’t like about finance and does the opposite. We’re redefining what it feels like to work in finance. Our vision for a new era of banking puts people front and centre — we’ve built a business that empowers everyone to aim high, every day, to move finance forward. Find out more about our fantastic offerings at Zopa.com!
We’re incredibly proud of our achievements and none of it would be possible without the amazing team here. It’s not just industry awards we’re winning, we’ve also been named in the top three UK’s Most Loved Workplaces.
If you embrace unconventional challenges, are unafraid to think differently and are driven to make an outsized impact, you’ll thrive here at Zopa, so join us, and make it count. Want to see us in action? Follow us on Instagram @zopalife
The Platform Engineering team is at the core of Zopa and has been created to improve the way we deliver our infrastructure and evolve the reliability engineering culture.
This role will sit in our Zopa Reliability Engineering team and work across various projects in our new point of sale finance business DivideBuy.
We are looking for a Senior Platform Engineer to lead on the evolution of DivideBuy’s reliability engineering culture and infrastructure platforms; leading the transition to IaaC environment, finding opportunity to replace BAU tickets with automation and APIs and designing reliable, scalable and secure services.
A day in the life:
- Work on a transformation programme: Applying and contributing to company standards to build a new platform in a consistent way
- Emphasis on automation: Introducing Terraform to provision and manage all aspects of the cloud environment
- Adding controls with security and governance in mind
- Working closely with other platform engineers to gain alignment and espouse a culture of automation for the new stack
- Design processes and tools that help our developers to take more control of their products and the infrastructure they need
- Participate in an on-call team rota
The ideal candidate:
- You have at least 6+ years experience as a Platform Engineer or similar position
- You are proactive in your approach – you identify what needs to be done and collaborate with key stakeholders to deliver it, rather than waiting for tickets to come in
- You have strong Linux administration knowledge (FlatcarOS, Amazon Linux 2 or any Linux in general)
- Experience and interest with at least one programming language and the willingness to dabble in others (Bash, Python, Go)
- You have experience with Linux containers and orchestration (Docker, Kubernetes)
- You have experience with Terraform for IaaC
- You are well versed in AWS and relevant services
Flexible working? Yes please!
At Zopa we value flexible ways of working. We understand the benefits of face-to-face collaboration and the importance of a good work life balance. Our teams work in a hybrid manner from our open-plan, riverside London Bridge office and the comfort of their own homes at a frequency that suits the team and the work they do.
Not only that – you'll also have the option of working from abroad for up to 120 days a year!* But no matter where you are, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to thrive, both in your work and home life, from day one.
*Subject to having the right to work in the country of choice
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to better products for our customers and a unique company culture for our people. We are made up of nearly 50 nationalities, have a DE&I forum made up of Zopians wanting to make a difference and we are proud of our culture where everyone can bring their full self to work. Our approach to DE&I is reflected in our hiring process so please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments.