Software Engineer - Java
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2023
We are on a mission to liberate humanity from all the meaningless time spent managing their purchases and finances, so they can do more of what they love. Klarna was founded on a bold belief: that people are capable of achieving the extraordinary, even when faced with the seemingly impossible. Our journey has been one of continuous learning, facing immense challenges head-on, dedicating countless hours of hard work, and never wavering in our commitment or resilience - and now we are looking for individuals to join us on our journey and contribute to our mission.
Our engineers have a significant impact on company decisions, and we seek developers who are bold, open-minded, and inquisitive.
Are you ready to be part of this transformative journey? We are expanding various engineering teams, such as those dedicated to our core checkout product, payment services, fraud prevention, and enhancements to our billing service and shipping credentials, among others.
Check out what it's like to be an engineer at Klarna here.
What you will do:
- Own your services end to end. Decide how best to build, test, deploy and monitor.
- Be an integral part of a team, in addition to its culture and ways of working. Common practices include agile methodologies, pair and mob programming.
- Work with large scale, highly available and resilient modern financial systems.
- Take ownership of system design, collaborate with domain architects, own end-to-end problems, manage stakeholder communication, and mentor junior engineers.
- Succeed, fail, and learn together with other talented people. We believe in an environment that provides an opportunity for growth and see education as an outcome of failure that gets us closer to the next breakthrough.
- Work with modern tools and languages that excite you.
- You will be the interface between business / customer using your product knowledge to make informed decisions.
- Take responsibility for end-to-end feature work; through planning, deployment, maintenance, and monitoring.
- Drive knowledge sharing through demos, presentations and tutorials.
Some of the technologies you will get to work with:
- Java (latest versions)Spring and Spring Boot and potentially other modules
- Other technologies* include: Docker and Kubernetes, Kafka/SNS/SQS, PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, Elasticsearch/ELK stack, Microservice architecture at scale on AWS
* Even if you are not proficient in all of them, you should be open to learning and working with any of these technologies as the choices available may change over time.
To succeed in this role, we think you should have:
- Software development experience
- Experience working with modern frameworks
- Strong problem solving ability
- Growth mindset and bias for action
- Good communication skills in English
What we offer you:
Location & Community
In Giessen's office, a cozy, family-like atmosphere permeates the space. The team's friendly interactions and strong bonds create a welcoming environment. From delightful shared lunches to celebrations and self-organized events, this unique setting truly embodies a sense of togetherness. We also believe in making contributions back to the open source community. You can find some of our work at https://github.com/klarna.
Ownership & Impact
Here, every voice matters. We’re organized into hundreds of small teams, each run like a start-up, focused on their own problem-space.
Trust & Collaboration
Successes and failures are won together at Klarna in a melting pot of teams. Win, lose, and learn, we’re on this path together.
If you love what you do, you should love where you do it. We appreciate that everyone’s different and has their own preferences of where and how to work. We genuinely believe in the power of regular face-to-face interactions in building close connections with our teams, but we also strongly believe people can work effectively remotely. This means that combining both is the key to success. At Klarna, You can choose between working from the office, remotely within your employment country, or even outside of it for up to 20 working days per year. Flex it up!
Challenges & Rewards
We take a very serious approach to benefits, understanding and aligning with local expectations. We provide meal vouchers, free snacks, fruits and drinks, mental health support and a welfare platform. Our benefits package is always under review!
Total Compensation & RSU We offer an attractive total compensation package that includes for all of our employees the opportunity to invest in a RSU program and own a stake of the company.
How to apply: please send us your CV or Linkedin profile in English
Since 2005 Klarna has been on a mission to revolutionize the retail banking industry. With over 150 million global active users and 2 million transactions per day, Klarna is meeting the changing demands of consumers by saving them time and money while helping them be informed and in control. Over 450,000 global retail partners, including H&M, Saks, Sephora, Macys, IKEA, Expedia Group, and Nike have integrated Klarna's innovative technology to deliver a seamless shopping experience online and in-store. For more information, visit Klarna.com
It is our commitment that every qualified person will be evaluated according to skills regardless of age, gender, identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability status or religion. Please refrain from including your picture and age with the application.
About Engineering at Klarna
Engineering at Klarna is an inspired, customer focused community, dedicated to crafting solutions that redefine our industry. Working in small, highly collaborative Agile teams, you and your team will have a clear mission and ownership of an important outcome that supports Klarna and our customers. At Klarna we optimise for quality, flow, fast feedback, focusing on end-to-end ownership, continuous improvement, testing, monitoring, and experimentation. We aim for teams that are inclusive, helpful, and have a strong sense of ownership for the things they build.
Check out what it's like to be an engineer at Klarna here.