(Senior) Legal Counsel - Regulatory
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2023
On our path to becoming the world’s favorite way to shop, we’re assembling an unparalleled global talent network, accelerating individual careers, and disrupting entire industries. We are on a mission to liberate humanity from all the meaningless time spent managing their purchases and finances, so they can do more of what they love. We’re in search of global talent eager to embrace our atmosphere and defy their own expectations.
As a Klarna Legal Problem Solver, you will be part of a global and cross-functional team comprised of colleagues from other competences. You will solve complex legal problems involving multiple jurisdictions, consumers, partners, and authorities. Your challenge is to merge stakeholders’ expectations and legal requirements into simple and innovative legal products, processes, or contracts. You will be the first responder for any legal matter concerning our banking services, including consumer deposits and payments. As regulatory counsel, you are expected to engage proactively in the development of new products as well as in the management and improvement of existing products. While your focus will be the UK, you are comfortable and have experience with managing matters in other jurisdictions across the EU. You should always first ask yourself, “What’s best for the company? Is there any way we could do it better?” Your expertise and your never ending desire to learn more will drive your professional development at Klarna. You are in the driving seat!
Key responsibilities include:
- Be tasked with running the legal part of exciting product development projects
- Review and improve legal aspects of existing routines and processes
- Providing guidance and advice to senior stakeholders and leading legal investigations on all regulatory, AML, tax, and consumer protection aspects
- Manage contacts with outside counsel to address and resolve legal issues
- Responding to requests by authorities
- Monitor and advise on relevant legal and regulatory developments and requirements within payments and consumer credit law
- Collaborate with multiple internal stakeholders across the organization to improve the overall product governance
- Professional experience as a lawyer (5 - 10 years) from a top-notch law firm or in-house in the financial sector
- Solid interest in the disruptive payment industry and a willingness to learn
- Experience in retail banking is an asset
- Qualified in the UK, or in the EU but with a strong UK background
- Ability to handle multiple jurisdictions (UK and EU)
- Proven ability to solve problems in a global environment
- Working proficiency and communication skills in verbal and written English
What we offer:
Diversity & Community
With our diversity of skills, perspectives and backgrounds, we can create, innovate, and disrupt like no other. Diversity is part of who we are, and essential to our success.
Ownership & Impact
Here, every voice matters. We’re organized into hundreds of small teams, each run like a start-up, focused on their own problem-space.
Trust & Collaboration
Successes and failures are won together at Klarna in a melting pot of teams. Win, lose, and learn, we’re on this path together.
If you love what you do, you should love where you do it. We appreciate that everyone’s different and has their own preferences of where and how to work. We genuinely believe in the power of regular face-to-face interactions in building close connections with our teams, but we also strongly believe people can work effectively remotely. This means that combining both is the key to success.
At Klarna, You can choose between working from the office, remotely within your employment country, or even outside of it for up to 20 working days per year. Flex it up!
Challenges & Rewards
We take a very Swedish approach to benefits. Support for parents, health and wellness perks—we’ve got you covered.
Since 2005 Klarna has been on a mission to revolutionize the retail banking industry. With over 150 million global active users and 2 million transactions per day, Klarna is meeting the changing demands of consumers by saving them time and money while helping them be informed and in control. Over 450,000 global retail partners, including H&M, Saks, Sephora, Macys, IKEA, Expedia Group, and Nike have integrated Klarna's innovative technology to deliver a seamless shopping experience online and in-store. Klarna has over 6,000 employees and is active in 45 markets. For more information, visit Klarna.com
It is our commitment that every qualified person will be evaluated according to skills regardless of age, gender, identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability status or religion. Please refrain from including your picture and age with the application.
See more open positions at Klarna
Something looks off?