Senior Data Engineer (L5)
Remote · United Kingdom
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2023
🌳 Infogrid began in 2018 on a mission to make buildings more sustainable, buildings account for 39% of global carbon emissions and we’re creating real solutions to impact this!
🚀 We have amazing products solving real world problems, come and join us in either the UK or US and help drive our mission forward.
Are you looking for a significant engineering challenge, and the chance to reset a data-intensive organisation's core architecture? Do you like rethinking data implementations, to make it way easier for users to get the visualisations and insights they need? Are you inspired by optimising for both performance and cost, using contemporary data tech? Are you experienced with migrating to a new stack, while keeping parts of the old stack in good production order, so we don’t break anything for our customers? Most of all, are you good at all this?
Wait, we have other challenges too. We are a startup with limited resources operating in a competitive market. Everything moves fast, including our priorities. Sometimes it can be chaotic. Outcomes are not certain, but every day you will do work that has impact.
So why might you want to join us?
- We don’t tolerate toxic behaviour.
- We pride ourselves on being good people to work with.
- We’re a startup. Every day is different. Also, equity.
- Modern tech: Snowflake, dbt, Cube, AWS Aurora, AWS Lambda (Python & Node).
- Interesting data sources – largely IoT – sensors, energy meters, custom hardware, utility ingest.
- You can help save the world. Infogrid exists to reduce the energy used by buildings.
What you’ll be doing day-to-day:
- Designing and developing our data engineering systems; both architecting for best practices, and building it out.
- Improving our existing systems; fixing bugs, extending functionality, enhancing code & SQL for performance and maintainability.
- Optimising. For speed, efficiency, cost.
- Helping set the direction for both our data team, and our data platform.
- Contributing to the core data architecture at Infogrid, which means working across the engineering organisation as well as within the data and platform teams, and building effective working relationships with multiple other development teams.
What we’re looking for:
- You have previous experience being the technical leader of a data engineering or data-oriented platform team; with responsibility for multiple substantial developments, migrations or rebuilds.
- You are highly proficient in SQL, with plenty of hands-on experience as a senior contributor in a data engineering team.
- You’re an expert at using data warehouses such as Snowflake or Redshift.
- You can contribute to problem solving in Python or Node as required.
- You have mentored other engineers, and are able to make both your colleagues and your team stronger and more effective.
- You expect to learn new stuff all the time and enjoy going outside of your comfort zone.
- You appreciate both the power and the responsibility that comes with making big decisions.
Come save the world with us!
❤️ Feel good about your work: Infogrid is actively helping big companies reduce their environmental footprint. We also offset everyone’s carbon footprint.
🤸 We’re flexible: We encourage remote working and offer flexible working hours to everyone.
🌍 We're passionate: everyone is passionate about the mission and how the work we do helps our planet
Work with great people: work alongside incredibly talented and supportive within a small but mighty workforce
And we'll do everything we can to support you during your application. If you need us to make any adjustments to your recruitment process, speak to our recruitment team who will be happy to support you.