Senior Software Engineer, Full Stack
We're looking for an experienced senior engineer to help design, build, and maintain our game.
Hidden Door is a game technology studio building the first narrative AI — a platform that transforms any work of fiction into an infinite social roleplaying experience, bringing together players, authors and other creators.
You'll be joining our small and mighty engineering team, with opportunities to work on all parts of our system! If you're interested in working on creative experiences at the intersection of engineering, the web, narrative gaming and AI, we want to talk to you 🙂
We'd love to meet if you have:
- Experience building game systems, controls, and interfaces.
- Experience with modern UI/UX/motion design patterns and systems, and a sense of what good looks like and why.
- Shipped and supported a production web app that relied on a server-authoritative, API-based architecture.
- Background in consumer-facing mobile, web, or social apps for large audiences.
- Know when to prioritize speed-of-making and when to slow down for craft of execution.
- Exhibit strong attention to detail without sacrificing productivity.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, with a love of close collaboration.
- Believe that you work best when you can be part of a team whole.
And it'd be ideal if you also have:
- Experience as a technical bridge for artists, co-creating art pipelines, assets, and animations.
- Experience with cloud infrastructure, particularly deploying to platforms like Azure, AWS, or Google Cloud.
- Experience debugging and resolving cross-platform issues.
- Experience with performance optimization.
- Good taste in picking the right tools for the job, to help us make several asset, infrastructure and tool choices in the near future.
- Familiarity with considerations for building experiences that are accessible.
- Interest in building applications with machine learning and natural language processing.
- Passion for telling stories and playing games!
Other things to know
- We're a small, fully remote international team, focused on North American and Western European time zones.
- The whole team meets up quarterly IRL, often internationally, for planning and fun. Recently we've been to New Orleans and Lisbon! Expect adventure 🚀
- We're flexible about working hours and trust you to bring your best. Both co-founders have young children and we are committed to a healthy, balanced life.
- This is a startup 😉 We're building a company together as much as we are building a game together, and we want your help.
- We value curiosity, creativity, and diverse perspectives.
- We strongly encourage candidates from under-represented or non-traditional backgrounds to apply.
- 🏝️ Unlimited vacation (with minimum vacation requirement 🙂)
- 🏠 Fully remote team and culture
- 🩺 100% medical, dental, and vision for employees, and family coverage
- 💪🏻 Reproductive and gender-affirming care benefit
- 💵 $1,000 annual home office budget ($2,000 your first year)
- 🥇 Competitive salary and equity
- 🙈 No NFTs or crypto